The Land Showgirl Competition
The Showgirl Competition aims to find a young woman to act as an
ambassador for rural NSW with her role involving many official and informal duties
both at the Sydney Royal Easter Show and during her travels interstate and overseas.
It is not a beauty pageant. Most importantly the Showgirls must have a genuine interest in, and knowledge of, rural NSW. The Competition encourages the participation and subsequent awareness of rural women?s contribution and involvement in both local communities and rural NSW as a whole.
The Competition plays a significant role in the overall development of rural youth within this country and boasts incredible support from entrants, sponsors and organisers. Sponsorship at a State level is worth over $40,000 in cash and prizes which does not take into account local Show competitions.
Each year the achievement level is heightened and broadened. The contestants meet other young women from rural NSW and gain great insights and personal development through this very rare experience.
The Competition is open to those who are permanent residents of Australia.
1. Entrants must be women aged from 18 years to under 25 years as at 1 May in the year of the State Final.
2. Entrants must reside, be educated, or work within New South Wales for at least three months prior to their local Showgirl Competition to qualify to compete within the State.
3. Only candidates nominated by an Agricultural Show Society are eligible for Zone and State Final judging.
4. Previous entrants in the Showgirl Competition are eligible to enter; however, they are not to have been one of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd place getters in a previous State Final.
5. The following people are not eligible to enter the Showgirl Competition: Staff, Delegates and Councillors of both the Royal Agricultural Society of NSW ("RAS") and Agricultural Societies Council of NSW ("ASC"); The daughters of the Staff, Delegates and Councillors of the RAS.
6. Winning entrants who are employed or engaged in full time studies will be required to obtain a leave of absence to attend Zone and State Final Judging.
7. The State Final Judging will take place during the Sydney Royal Easter Show. Finalists will be guests of the RAS whilst in Sydney but will be required to pay their own travelling expenses to and from Sydney.
8. The winner of the State Final, as well as second & third place getters will be asked to remain in Sydney as guests of the RAS for a predetermined period of time to perform official duties at the Show. Other finalists may leave Sydney after all official Showgirl Functions.
9. All entrants are to abide by the Showgirls' Code of Conduct, as set-out out by the RAS and the ASC, when acting as an ambassador for RAS, ASC or their local Show Society.
10. All entrants receive an entrant?s sash. The winner will go onto represent Berrigan A & H Society Inc. at the Zone 7 Showgirl Final to be held by Finley Show Society on 15th February 2020.
11. For more information about "The Land Showgirl Competition? visit their website:https://www.rasnsw.com.au/sydney-royal-competitions/competitions/the-land-showgirl-competition/general-information/ or entry forms are available from the Secretary PO Box 30 Berrigan 2712.
2018 - NOT AWARDED
2012 - Hannah Nichols
2009 - Mikaela Barrett
2008 - Helen Kingham-Bradley
2007 - Dasha Newington
2006 - Catherine Ryan & State Finalist 2007
2005 - Merridith Ingold
2004 - Sueanne McCumstie
2003 - Corinne Kocks
2002 - Kasey Vandermeer
Photos of past Berrigan Showgirls